Friday, October 10, 2008

My Latest Project

In a continuation of my efforts to decorate my home for as cheap as possible, I finished a new project this week. I saw this map in Pottery Barn Kids and loved it. I decided to attempt to re-create it for Drew's room. I thought it would be a good way to help him learn the states and also show him where his friends and family live across the U.S.A. and add a little flare to an empty wall.
Here is the progression of my efforts:
First I sketched the states out with pencil and then used acrylic paint for the states colors and names.

I was happy with the results and it was a really fun project.

I think the final cost was $16 for the canvas, $15 for supplies. So, $30 bucks for a project that I would have had to shell $100 out for through PBKids. Not too shabby.

8 comments:

MossPosse said...

This is ADORABLE! You did an awesome job!! SO bright and colorful. Lots of fun. We'll be anxious to have Drew point out where we live when we come to visit.

Kliss said...

Yours is better. You amaze me.

EJ said...

I've always envied your handwriting skills. That is absolutely darling.

me and the boys said...

I, too, loved the map in PB, but I don't think I could ever tackle a project like that. It is so awesome--what a great mom you are!! How much do you charge?!;)

Tin said...

I love it. I think Colorado and Idaho are the best. I think I might have to try and make one for our basement. All other maps are so boring. It is such a fun way to learn all the states.

Rilieanne said...

I agree with kliss, yours is better! I have seen this in the magazine and loved it, but also thought the price tag was a little to steep. How smart of you to do your own, Drew's lucky to have such a talented momma.

Lindsay said...

Super duper cute! Can I find one on etsy. I love projects like that.

Krista said...

I love that! Did you free had it? I'm so impressed.